Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tsp Means Teaspoon...NOT CUP

Our own resident chef (ZAC), decided to treat us to a family favorite last night. We love to make skookies around here. You know, the cookies on the little cast iron skillet with ice cream on top? And you eat them when they're really hot? Ya, that's the kind. Except we've taken it to the next level at our house. We double the cookie recipe, and put it in a HUGE cast iron skillet pan and pile massive amounts of ice cream on top. Technically, it's large enough to feed 8 or 9 people, but I'm sure that the 6 of us can manage to eat it in only a matter of minutes.
Anyways, the resident chef was in the mood to bake last night. So I pulled out the recipe for him, and he went to town with it. Everything seemed to go good. He found the ingredients, and he even let Myah help him. Pretty soon he was ready to bake. I came in to inspect the dough and just out of habit, I reached into the bowl to snatch a little cookie dough (I know you all do it too!), and popped it in my mouth. I'm not sure how long it takes a message to get from the mouth to the brain, but it's pretty quick! As it turns out, Zac had misread the recipe, which called for a TEASPOON of salt, and added a CUP of salt! I love salt (on popcorn and potatoe chips), but it was quite a surprise.
The dough looked so perfect, and it wasn't until tasting it, that I knew exactly how nasty it was! Now surely, there's a religious teaching parallel in there, right? Maybe something about how the things that look the most appealing are sometimes deceiving us with their appearance?
To end the story on a good note, the ever so patient father of the resident chef came in and helped us all laugh about the situation, and then helped Zac start over and make some really great Skookies for the family! Thanks Zac...and thanks Derrick!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow funny!

Good thing you tasted it before the baking.

Huffstuff said...

I love it. I may have to use that example for a FHE or sometime. It's great to see he love to cook. I'd like a few of those chef's around here

Maria said...

Now he'll never forget! I don't think I'll ever forget when my dad made us waffles to try our our new waffle maker and used baking soda instead of baking powder. YUCK!
I've never heard of skookies... they sound great though.

Nicky said...

Oh, my mouth is watering! That (the salt-less one) sounds SO yummy right now!