Monday, October 27, 2008

Beward Of Pride!

When I was a kid, I was always confused by the statement, 'Beware of Pride'. On the one hand, the scriptures tell us over and over that pride is bad, but on the other hand I always felt so warm and fuzzy when my parents told me that they were proud of me! I even remember once when President Benson came to our ward (since he was from my hometown, Whitney Idaho), and told us how proud he was of us! So which is it??? I guess now I know there are two kinds of pride. There's the kind that is bad, that makes us think we are above others, and perhaps even that we don't need our Heavenly Fathers help...and then there's the kind of pride that we take in ourselves and in our accomplishments...while recognizing the Lord's hand in those accomplishments! So this is what I'm proud of...

*I'm proud of my husband, and the way that he treats me. It's easy to feel like a 'queen' when my husband treats me as such! I'm really proud that his parents taught him that.

*I'm proud that I know how to 'can' food. My mom taught me, and it's been such a great skill to have.


*I'm proud that I can make my husband laugh. Granted, it's usually on accident when I do something really dorky, but laughing is the greatest thing ever, and I love to hear him laugh.

*I'm proud that I can keep up with Derrick on a hike (normally), and I can even take my fair share of time carrying the baby back-pack.

*I'm proud that I have so many great friends. I think they really like me!

*I'm proud that I'm really a pretty darn good cook. I LOVE going to a restaurant, and then coming home and making up copy-cat recipes. I am especially proud that I am able to make healthy food taste really good.

*I'm proud that my kids eat vegetables. I have taken it as a challenge the last few years to get them to actually like their veggies...and they do!

*I'm proud that my boys can play the piano. Most days its a battle, but when I see that Skyler can play the hymns in priesthood, it's all worth it!

*I'm proud that I'm smart. I may be a flake, but I'm really smart!

*I'm proud that Derrick and I can grow a garden (for the most part). I think it may be a necessity some day, and I'm so glad we know how!

*I'm proud to be a Latter Day Saint. I'm also proud that I have a testimony. I'm proud of my parents for teaching me, and helping me develop that testimony!

*I'm proud that Derrick reads books. He loves classic literature. I think it's so important that boys see their dad reading.

*I'm proud to have five wonderful kids!

*I'm proud that I chose being a mommy as my first priority. I want to go back to school some day, but this whole mommy thing is the best!

*I'm proud of 'my girls'. I just got released from Young Women's, but I just love 'my girls' both here in Pocatello and in Vegas. It's so much fun to see some of the older ones getting married, and serving missions, etc....

*I'm proud of Skyler's curly hair. He gets it from me. It's way cute.

*I'm proud of my brothers and sisters (there are 8 of us!). It's so great to know that I always have people who care about me (even when I might not deserve it!).

*I'm proud of my nieces and nephews. They are some seriously great people!

*I'm proud that we've been working on our food storage like crazy! Whether we'll ever use it or not doesn't really matter. We've already received the blessings just from being obedient.

*I'm proud that I'm not a selfish person. I love to serve others, and don't mind putting others ahead of me. I think I'm pretty sensitive to other's needs.

*I'm totally proud to know that I am a daughter of God, and that he loves me!!!

So there you have it! I'm so proud of so many things, and I'm so thankful for each of them!

3 comments:

Nicky said...

I love this post. Great job! It has me thinking of the things that I'm proud of too. And as your sister - we are proud of you! I totally agree with the things you said, but especially that you put others first - I'll never forget you showing up on my doorstep with your cleaning supplies in hand!

Huffstuff said...

You are AWESOME! Be Proud that you have so much to be proud about. I love reading your post like this, it make me think about stuff like this more.

Unknown said...

and you are proud of the ability to SEE your blessings too!

Ignorance is not always bliss huh?