Monday, October 13, 2008

A Quick Trip

We went to Salt Lake this last weekend for a quick family getaway. We spent some time at Hogle zoo while we were there. One of Derrick's friends gave us a baby gift after Desmond was born, with which she had made a cute card that said, 'We heard you've added to your zoo'. So today, I started thinking how true that statement really is. We have a lot in common with a zoo around here! So here we go...the top five reasons the Swaner home is really and truly a zoo!

5. Variety...the zoo has a whole bunch of different animals, all unique in their own ways. Just like us! Who knew that 5 kids coming from the same gene pool could seriously be so different from one another! They can't even decide on something to eat that they all like!
4. It's best to keep the family all caged in separate areas (I guess for the same reason they don't put the tiger in the same cage with the elephants!). We finally gave in with the new kid, and got 2 rooms at the hotel (Go Priceline!!!). It made all the difference in the world! The car ride, with everyone enclosed in one small space...TORTURE, but the hotel rooms with Myah and I and the baby in a room by ourselves...HEAVEN!
3. Feeding time at the zoo, very similar to feeding time at our house! But the animals seem to be a little better at picking up the scraps and crumbs from the floor!
2. The monkeys. They like to climb all over everything too!
1. Smells...just like some of the cages at the zoo, sometimes I just can't figure out what that smell is in the boys rooms!

Besides our visit to the zoo, Derrick took the older boys to the REAL game at their brand new stadium. (FYI, they are the soccer team from Salt Lake City, and they were playing New York) They had a great time, and I wished I could have been there, but it was too cold for Des. Instead, I ventured out on the Trax and took Tannon and Myah to see 'Igor' at the theater, but it wasn't playing after all. Our only 'PG' option was 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua'. Uuugggghhhh. The things we do for our kids! I think I earned a gold star for that one!
All in all, we had a great weekend. The kids got to go swimming and go-karting. They played laser tag, and we visited temple square. We got to eat out at some yummy restaurants. But most of all, it was nice just to get away and be together!


While we were in Salt Lake, the weather seemed to get colder and colder. By the time we returned to Pocatello, there was a good amount of snow covering the ground. Bummer! And to make it even worse, it's now two days later, and it's still there! An early snow storm is ok, but it's supposed to quickly melt away! Yesterday, Derrick built a giant snow man with the kids. I feel ripped off because we didn't really even get a fall this year! The leaves are still green (under the snow that is!). Oh well. Maybe it'll warm back up for a while. But I guess we'll just live by the motto...'If you can't make it go away, you may as well play in it'! (I just made that up, but it should be a real saying, right?) Anyhow, the snowman is green. I think he's supposed to be Frankenstein, in honor of Halloween!

8 comments:

Huffstuff said...

Sounds like a fun trip. The quick ones always seem to be some of best. We love your snowman. Last night Maysa went to our back window and could see it glowing in the night lights and asked, "Mama, What's that at Myah's house?" I told her it was a GIANT Snowman. Way to go Derick, only a tall dad could make that tall of a snowman.

Leslie said...

I know you don't want to hear this-- but I am jealous of the snow! I wish we could build a snowman! Just once! And I love it when it's cold outside and I can curl up with a blankie inside- and make soup! :) Sorry! Just couldn't resist! P.S. Your kids are soooo stinkin' cute!!!!

Victoria said...

Ahhh, what a super cute family!! Looks like you had a lot of fun. BTW, we've outgrown hotels too so we look online for condo's to rent. You'd be surprised what you find. If you rent two hotel rooms you can probably get a condo with 3 bedrooms/kitchen/etc for the same price. Go to VRBO (vacation rental by owner). We got a nice fancy one in Park City for $150 a night. Anyways, LOVE the snowman and all the snow pictures. I also like your new saying. I'm going to quote you, if you don't mind!!!

Nicky said...

We are planning the same trip for this next weekend (minus the zoo!), and we have a great big, EMPTY house to stay in - sound fun? (I'm being sarcastic - that part really doesn't sound too fun - but...you do what ya gotta do!) Give me ideas of what you did in SLC, we are still open to what our plans are.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow I just changed my blog background and decided to check up on your blog and yes it is the same as yours! Weird we must like the same...
Wow look at all the snow!!!

Unknown said...

brr- glad our snow did not stick- the green is funny tho.

Nicky said...

BTW - I love the zoo/kid comparison, that just made me laugh - cuz I think it's all true!

Maria said...

Glad you were able to get away. Derrick looks so cold on the go-carts (I think that is where they are!) That is a lot of snow! I remember realizing when I went to BYU that I hadn't had a fall for 2 years - while I was at Ricks! Fall really is necessary to get you mentally prepared for snow!