Saturday, May 10, 2008

Why, Why, Why???

Myah is going through the 'why' stage right now, and it's making me CRAZY! After a while, my response to 'why?' became, "Myah, not everything has a why". Eventually, she started answering her own questions by repeating my 'not everything has a why' response. My other common responses are "I know what I'm doing, so you don't need to know why" or even an occasional "Because I'm the parent and I said so!". Probably not the best parenting technique, but I never claimed to be the best parent! Sometimes my lack of patience takes over, and all good parenting skills fly out the window.

I started wondering and thinking what makes our kids want to know 'why' to everything. Then, probably through a little inspiration, the thought came to me...Heavenly Father must feel just about the same way with me questioning 'why' to everything. I can just hear Him saying, "Not everything has a why." Or "Can't you just trust me...I know what I'm doing". Or even better, "Because I'm the parent and I said so!". I must really try His patience, even more than my sweet children try mine. Thankfully, He is the perfect parent and loves me anyways! And I guess I ought to ask 'why' a little less often, and trust Him a little more!

5 comments:

Huffstuff said...

Yes! the Why stage in life. Each child has to go through it, WHY! Maybe we are the one who need to know why. Maysa seems to say What for everything, even if it does not fit the sentence. kids they teach us more than we know.

Nicky said...

I love this post. I often have that humbling thought when I say to my kids "how many times do I have to tell you?" Then I have the thought that Heavenly Father is saying the same thing to me - and I'm so glad He's telling me more patiently than I'm saying it to my kids. You would think I would learn after having that thought 20x a day!

Unknown said...

If only we could take our own advice so easily.

Victoria said...

Such a good point and a nice way to look at it!

Leslie said...

I like your point Kelli... something good to think about. I need to practice that one!