Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Good Read


I'm always looking for a good read. There's nothing better than going to bed early and reading until I fall asleep. So Derrick and I went to the book store the other day to grab the new Stephenie Meyer book (the Host), since I'm 4th on the waiting list at the library and I didn't want to wait that long! While in the book store, I picked up another book, and I just couldn't put it down. So I still haven't read 'The Host', but I sure have loved every minute of reading the other book I bought! It's a memoire from a boy who was forced to be a child soldier in Sierre Leone in the 90's. The story is really quite sad, but to see what he overcame is truly amazing. It's called 'A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier' by Ishmael Beah.


If you're looking for a good read, take a look at it. The whole time I was reading, I was just so thankful for the circumstances that we live in. We are so blessed to raise our families in a place where we feel safe, and our children can be just that...children. Just thought I'd pass it along. It'll stick with me for a really long time, and I love those kind of books.


Here's a link to take a look at...http://alongwaygone.com/


3 comments:

Huffstuff said...

Thanks, I am trying to read more and need good picks.

Unknown said...

I bought Moby Dick yesterday. I always read a classic every third book and have never read it. I can put this on my list. (behind 17 others....but hey i have crossed off 18 this year!)

Nicky said...

Who has time to read??? I have never been a big reader, but recently when I'm so tired at nights, a lot earlier than normal (hmmm..wonder why?) -a good book has been very useful. Now that I'm done with the vampire stories -I'll have to start this one. However, I'll need to borrow yours! ;) (seriously).