Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thirteen Years!

Skyler turned 13 years old on Sunday. Time sure flies! For his birthday, we had his favorite dinner (chicken alfredo and bread sticks) and then he opted for a giant skookie rather than a birthday cake. It was yummy. Thanks to Derrick's parents for coming up to celebrate with us.

For Skyler's birthday gift, we helped him upgrade his room to a 'teenage room' rather than a 'kid room'. We painted, bought him a new dresser, got a new bedspread and curtains, and framed some sports 'motivational' posters. The most exciting part was putting in a giant magnet board in the section of his wall that is recessed in. It's about 8 feet across and 4 feet tall. It's pretty cool.

As long as I'm on the Skyler topic, I gotta brag on him a little. He's such a good kid, and is very quickly growing into a great 'guy'! He is extremely talented with his piano playing and his academics, and is able to do really well in basketball (he's a real hustler), art, and many other things. Skyler is currently reading the Book of Mormon for the 3rd time. I'm pretty proud of that. He has an understanding of the scripture stories that is amazing, and is so good at recalling them. I think he gets that from Derrick. He'll be a great missionary, I'm sure. When people see Skyler, they remember him for his curly hair, but my favorite thing about him is his laugh. It seems like the older he gets, we get to hear him laugh less and less, but it's absolutely contagious and I love it! That's probably why I love the picture that I'm going to post so well.

Happy Birthday Skyler! We love you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Who knew when he was a baby and had his soft white hair it would ever be that curly. Every year seemed to add more curl until BOOM! I so meant to call- but I have been so so sick. I have no voice to speak of anyway.

Happy birthday Skyler!

Unknown said...

oh yah- I forgot to add-

Skyler- when you were a baby you had the funniest chuckle. It was deep and resonated from the belly. Your mom is right- you have always had the best best laugh.

Ratchfords said...

Happy birthday! Skyler's room sounds awesome - you should post some pictures!!!
Erin

farmgirl said...

Ditto on the posting some pictures- it sounds really cool. How are we old enough to have 13 year old's, anyway?? Happy Birthday!

Maria said...

Happy Birthday Sky! Ditto times 3 on the pictures of the room...
Sometime you are going to have to show us how to make a 'skookie'. Sounds like something we would like!

Huffstuff said...

Happy Birthday Skyler! He is a great kid, I am so impressed with all that he does. I know you are proud of him.

I like your birthday gift to him. That is what I have been thinking of doing for the boys for Christas. I may have to peek at his and see what you did. It sounds great!

Nicky said...

SKY MAN!! The term "man" is going to be a reality all too soon, and not just a nick name. You're a great kid, I mean "guy"! Love ya Sky.

Victoria said...

You have such great kids! Skyler is an impressive young man. So, I want to see pictures of the room.