Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Week Full of Christmas Fun

It's been a week FULL of Christmas time festivities, and the week is only half over! I feel like I've enjoyed this time as a family so much, and while it's been a lot of work, I think we've made some great memories. This here's what's gone down in the Swaner home...

Sunday...we had our traditional 'fine dining Christmas dinner'. We started this tradition our first year in Vegas when we were so very lonely. Now it's something we look forward to every year...the one night each year that the kids actually try to have good manners.

The menu consisted of bread and olive oil, fillet mignon, spinach dip, pasta, salad, zucchini spears, homemade ice cream, and Martinellis. Good stuff. It's gotten pretty easy, since each person somewhat has part of the meal to be in charge of. Derrick deals with the steak, Zac makes the spinach dip, and Skyler pulls out and sets up the china. Tannon even made the salad.

Sometimes I think that maybe some day we'll actually dress up for our nice dinner. But then I think to myself....'Why??? Where else can I enjoy a fillet mignon while wearing sweat pants?' It sounds like a win/win situation to me!
Monday...we kicked off the day by shoveling tons and TONS of snow. I love shoveling snow. And it just kept snowing all day long. We also had to take Desmond down for his 4 month check up and immunizations. He weighed in at 14 lbs., which puts him right at the 50th percentile for his weight, height, and head circumference. Not real exciting, I know. But after that, we came home and spent at least an hour gathering up the snow clothes. It can be pretty tricky with so many kids who are growing so fast. Nothing that fit last year seemed to fit this year. Anyways, we loaded up and went sledding for a couple of hours. It was too cold for Des outside, so we stayed in the truck and played with the camera and took a nap. It was nice. The sledding hill was a ways away though, so we couldn't get any pictures of the other kids.

When we got home, I shoveled snow AGAIN, and Derrick helped the kids build a snow cave. They're pretty excited about it.

This morning... I pulled Myah on her sled around the neighborhood to deliver Christmas gifts. It made me tired, but it fit right in with our theme of the day. We thought it might be fun to have an 'old fashioned Christmas celebration'. We spent the evening without electronics and just enjoyed some quiet time together. Derrick took the kids sledding again while I got everything ready. We decorated gingerbread men, had a nice dinner by candlelight, played Christmas songs on the piano, and we even made vinegar taffy. I really hate making that stuff. But we did it, and I even have the blisters to prove it! But since it was an old fashioned celebration, I didn't even pull the camera out. It was interesting though to see how well the kids got along without any of the distractions we usually allow into our home.

Now the kiddies are in bed, I'm back on the computer (while watching Prison Break), and gearing up for tomorrow. I'm not sure what we'll do to keep ourselves in the spirit of Christmas. Any ideas?

Gotta run. I'm VERY tired. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

tysonandmandimoser said...

Tyson is SOOOOO jealous of that snow cave.

Nicky said...

I thought you looked awfully tired by the time you got to mom and dad's Christmas night. I just figured it was cuz you'd been through a nightmare drive...but now I see the real reason! btw: I won't let my kids see pictures of that snow cave, that would be cause for them to bug us for the rest of the Christmas break!