Saturday, April 26, 2008

Here Comes The Sun!

I'm looking outside across Pocatello, and noticing something really strange. I don't see even one cloud in the sky! It's amazing. I've almost forgotten what blue skies look like!

It reminds me of when I was an exchange student in Germany. Most Germans speak farely good English, but my host mother didn't speak English at all. And since I don't speak German... I mean, I know a little of the vacabulary, but the grammar is a killer! So our daily conversation went like this...
It would start first thing in the morning when we would see eachother, and would end approximately 5 seconds later.

me: 'Guten morgen, die sonne scheint!'
translated: 'Good morning, the sun is shining!'
her: Sehr gute!
translated: 'Very Good!'

And that's all! But it was the unspoken words that really mattered. All of the above was said with a very sweet and very sincere smile. It's funny how two people can communicate without even speaking.

My host family was very good to me and sometimes I wonder how they are doing. I've even wondered about going to visit them, but I'm not sure if they would even remember me. And wouldn't they be suprised to see me at the age of 33 with four and a half kids, when Germans wouldn't normally even consider getting married until the age of 33. And after that, they may have one or two children. Wow, what a different life!

But today, in Pocatello I have a big smile on my face when I say, 'Guten Morgen, Die Sonne Scheint!

7 comments:

Huffstuff said...

Yes it sure is and I am smileing too. We love the sun esp on Saturday's. Just hope it stays around for a while.

Maria said...

Oh yes, the clear blue skies are WONDERFUL! Jordan is itching to go golfing. Too bad there is still a cool breeze. But it sure LOOKS nice!

Victoria said...

Wasn't it such a nice day today? I enjoyed being out with the family for the first time in a long time. How cool you went to Germany. I love blogs. You learn so much about people.

Ruth Swaner said...

Gutten Morgan, Viegates ver Shcinen? Ich ben gut. Ver stayen sie? Speaken sie deutch? Vo ist das kino? Das kino is links um de ecka. Ich liebe dish, Kelli.

Nicky said...

At least you had a host mom within the vacinity, my host mom was on vacation the whole time I was there, so I never even met her - two teenage girls living alone - PARTY! Except you know me, a party for me was having cake and icecream - good thing too, cuz it could have been a scary situation!
Anyways, enjoy the next 3 days, cuz Wednesday it could snow again - UGGGGHHHH!

The Pili Aiga said...

Your so cute Kel...wouldn't it be fun to go visit that family someday? I hope you get to. I'm glad the sun is out for ya...we are about to turn the AC on here (gotta love the $550.00 bill last July/August) I'm dreading it. By the way, I didn't even know you went to Germany...

Leslie said...

That is awesome! I am glad you are getting some good weather finally! That was fun to read about you in Germany! What a cool experience! I would have loved that!! But scary, You must have been a brave one! :)