Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ahaa!

I was thinking today...about those things in life that impact us in a really big way. No, not like a new hair style or a really great outfit, but the things that change us...that we never forget. So while this may not interest the rest of the world, I'm going to blog it, since this is as far as I go in my journal keeping efforts. Here's my top 5 list, just for fun.

5. The day I realized that it was Ok to excel elsewhere...other than sports. I was always terrible at sports (still am!), and coming from the 'Moser Family', I felt pretty inadequate when I tried out for every team at school, and never made even one! But then came the day that I ran for student body president, and my family backed me up a hundred and ten percent. I always say that the reason I won the election was because of my mom's efforts. Pretty cool realization. I hope that I can encourage my kids in all of their talents. Thanks mom!
4. The day I went 'dragging main' in Logan with my friends. I always mocked those who wasted their time with such silly things, but just once I decided to give it a try. Talk about giving in to peer pressure! For anyone not familiar with the mainstreet drag in Logan (especially friends in Vegas), it would be equivilant to spending the whole evening driving back and forth down the strip, looking for cute guys. Sounds like great fun, hu?! Anyways, while dragging main with my friends, I met Derrick! Long explanation for a simple (but HUGE) life changing moment!
3. Derrick and I had the opportunity to be 'parents' on the Wyoming trek that we attended with the youth in our Las Vegas stake. We were parents of several of the young men and women in our ward, and to this day...they're still 'my kids'. We had the time of our lives pushing handcarts across the Wyoming prairie. And it was so neat to see the lives of the youth change too. Thanks Jenna, for asking us to volunteer!
2. In January of 2007, we went on a western caribbean cruise with my family. I know...fun, yes, but life changing??? It really was, for a couple of reasons. First, since Derrick and I got married and started our family very quickly, we've never had the chance to just travel and relax together. We've been married for 13 years now and we've never left the kids for more than a couple of days. Even then, we've almost always brought the baby along with us. So to spend an entire week with no worries, no stress, and no responsibilities (or otherwords, NO KIDS!) was just amazing. It was fun to remember exactly how much we really LIKE eachother! Secondly, all seven of my brothers and sisters with their spouses, as well as my parents were able to be there together. Such a thing has never happened that I can remember, and it may not ever happen again. Not that we won't try! Very cool!
1. What's more life changing than becoming a mother!? Every time we have a sweet little addition to our family, I just can't believe what a miracle it is, and what a priveledge it is to be called mommy. And to think, the whole thing is eternal too! Ya, there are plenty of times that I think I would like to resign my position as mother, but thankfully some days, that's just not an option. Thank goodness for walk in closets with locking doors where I can go for my own time out! Things are always better in the morning! It really is amazing to see these little people grow and develop their strengths and their talents and to face the challenges of day to day life. Sometimes, I wish I could have met them when I was a little person myself...they could have taught me so much! So I guess I'll continue learning from them and maybe even teach them a thing or two along the way!

So there are my five 'ahaa' moments. When the picture all becomes a little more clear, if not only for a little while! Hopefully, we'll all of more of those moments that make us say 'ahaa'!

7 comments:

Derrick said...

Definitely life changing moments especially the dragging main in Logan. Certainly life changing for me.


Love ya

Derrick

The Pili Aiga said...

Can't be any more life changing than dragging main in Provo :0) We miss you at Bunco too! I don't go too often now and much has changed from our original group, but man those were fun times huh? As for motherhood, definitely number one. There is nothing better for me than raising my beautiful children and watching them learn and grow. AWESOME! I'm so excited you're having another one...cherish every minute!
Beck

Huffstuff said...

Thanks for sharing your life changing events, and thanks it got me thinking. I've had many of those events and am grateful for each one, esp. like you, being a mom!

Nicky said...

Hey, cool idea - I think I might copy your idea on my blog - SOMEDAY (but definently not today...or tomorrow etc.). Except if I copy your idea, I will probably have to copy at least 2 of your moments (motherhood & cruise). Hey, what do sisters do best but follow each others examples :) . By the way, I was disappointed that my name wasn't included in there somewhere - surely those all-out battles between us at times were life changing right?? Oh...the ?good? old days!

Unknown said...

Very nice- I have thought of doing something some what similar- just too lazy. lol

jennaloha said...

Walk in closets with locks! That would definitely change my life. What a spectacular idea.

I could put my scrapbook table in there, and a little fridge...I'll get Blake going on that.

Ruth Swaner said...

Kelli, I love your top 5....believe it or not your own mother-in-law dragged main with a car full of friends every Saturday night in Logan. However, I did'nt meet my future mate there. He was a blind date.

Hey by the way, Dawnata called and I had to get the money in immediately because it was 10 days after making the reservation, NOT 10 days before we go there. Roger, wasn't home at the time so I put the entire amount $729.00 on my card. So, whenever you can I would like to pay that down before I encure interest. Thanks for your help on that. MOM S.