Monday, February 23, 2009

My New Leaf

This morning, I was feeling rather frustrated with the school system (2 teachers in particular). So after sending a somewhat 'to the point' email to one of the teachers, I decided that she probably, most likely doesn't know how to use email (and yes, I was right). So I skipped my morning workout to go down to the school and observe exactly what (if anything) my child is being taught. I found an overwhelmed teacher (still email illiterate), with too many children in a much too small classroom, just trying to do her job. She was so thankful to have a little help, and I was able to help Tannon get on top of things. I felt kinda sorry for her. We're not planning on doing lunch together any time soon, but maybe it's me who needs to do better at keeping up with the happenings of school, and being a bit more proactive. And maybe I can even help the teacher figure out email.

When the kids came home from school, I had cookies made, and actually had the laundry removed from the kitchen table where it usually sits for at least half of the week. The kids actually walked in the door and sat down to do their homework without an argument. Tannon even asked if he could forgo (is that a real word?) playing with friends to work on his math facts with me. It's not like I feel like a genius for figuring this parenting strategy out. I'm just usually too lazy or too consumed with my own projects to actually pull it off! But today I turned a new leaf. I sure hope I can keep my leaf turned!

Now, Derrick is out building a bon-fire for the kiddies to make family night s'mores. Traditionally, I stay inside with Des and they bring me one, since I really hate smelling like campfire. I think I'll continue the tradition. After all, I've already done my share of good parenting for the day!

8 comments:

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

Sounds like one of those eye opening days we get when we take the time to look at someone elses situation. Good job.

Unknown said...

I bet you felt so great about that! yay!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Ya, and I even decided that 'family night' meant 'family', and actually went outside and hung out around the fire for a while. I just don't know what got into me.

Mark and Adrian said...

Good for you. I'm sure you made that teacher's day. I also bet your son loved having you in his classroom. Good job. You are also a trooper for joining the family outside. What a great idea (especially in winter)

Maria said...

Almost makes you wonder how many times we DON'T take the time to see the other person's situation. I know I don't do it often enough. Way to be a proactive mom!

Huffstuff said...

Kelli, you are awesome. I know how you feel about those teachers, been there, but didn't do what you did. So horray for you. I have found that getting involved with Aubrie's class this year has helped her a lot. I have tried in Landon's too. I even stayed one day and had lunch with Aubrie. WOW it was a great experience for me and a lot of fun. (Zac and Connor sat with us too)

Nicky said...

Cookies AND Smores?? YUUMMMM! If we were to build a bonfire, we would have to wear our snowsuits and boots just to get to the pit. Then we would have to use the shovel to try to find the pit under all the snow. Even if I would end up smelling smokey - I would take a bon fire over the snow right now.
I do love those "ah-ha" moments when we get to walk in someone else's shoes for awhile. Thanks for sharing - I bet every teacher must feel like that teacher did, and we can all do a little more to help.

farmgirl said...

Way to go! I have those days every now and again...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, right? They do feel good--and it's good to document them, don't ya think?