Monday, February 2, 2009

The Best Day EVER!

Really, it was an AWESOME day! Like, complete BLISS! We decided to let the kids ditch school today and went skiing. First, we stopped in at Barrie's (one of the local ski shops), and the owner was able to melt and custom fit my ski boots (that have always hurt my feet sooooo badly), until they were nice and comfy. How come I never knew they could do that? They also gave us a great deal on seasonal ski rentals for the kids, so they can keep them until the end of the season. It got us all started off on the right foot.

Anyways...we headed up to Pebble, and it wasn't until we got there, that I started to second guess myself and my level of patience and ability to teach Tannon and Myah at the same time. Derrick couldn't help because he was holding Des. Sooooo, I first took Tannon down the hill and left Myah. And yes, I actually turned into one of 'those parents' that have no business teaching their kids to ski because they are totally freaking out at their kids while the kid cries and says, 'I'm trying!'. Ya, I was that parent. Finally, I told him that if he didn't stop crying, and TRY, then I would take away all of his video games for the rest of the winter. Maybe skiing is an acquired love, but he needed a little extra incentive. Of course, I tried to get him on skis last year, and he was a total punk about it, and went and sat in the lodge. BUT....after the video game threat, Tannon decided he would ski! And he did great! I took him down the hill once, and then the second time, he took off by himself. I was preoccupied with Myah, and looked up to see Tannon on the lift BY HIMSELF! Funny boy. I'm not sure if he really likes skiing, or just video games. Whatever it takes!

Then there was Myah. I brought her down the hill one time...you know, me skiing backwards the whole way holding her up. She just wanted to get to the bottom so she could ride the lift. Who needs Disneyland when we can ride a ski lift??? By the second time down, she was on her own. And she was pretty fast. She wasn't interested in taking the 'easiest way' down. She just went for it. I was absolutely giddy!






And then there was Desmond, who sat in the truck with Derrick all day long. I only stopped to nurse him once, and he was so totally cooperative.





And Derrick....was so awesome to sit with Desmond all day long. He parked right at the side of the hill so he could take pictures and help out with the kids. How cool is that?

Yep, it was a great day! To make it even better, it only cost us 27 dollars to take the whole family skiing! I think my kids might be racking up the absences this winter!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that is a really good deal. I wish I could take the kids out of school to do something more fun than the Dentist.

Huffstuff said...

boy you are brave, to take everyone and teach the Myah AND Tannon. What a fun day though. Gives me ideas. Have to look at our schedule. Aubrie is dieing to go and Maysa thinks she is too.

Nicky said...

Save one of those days off school for March so that we can join you. I actually feel for Tannon. I am terrified to go down that hill. You will have to find something to bribe me with too!!

Jen Merrill said...

You are the coolest parents ever! I promised to try skiing this year but havent gone yet. Barrie is a cool guy. His daughter and her husband were and still are good friends to Nate and me now. His niece married Nate's business partner too. I swear the longer I live in Pocatello, the smaller it seems.

Leslie said...

HOW FUN!

Maria said...

Ok, you had me missing the snow for just a minute while I was reading this. I have not been skiing since I got home from Indiana and I really do miss it. What a cool Dad to sit with the baby in the truck. Glad you had fun!

Jordan

bobbi said...

Good job, Kelly!! Way to be brave-- I took Bridger for the first time last year-- but I don't ski, either. The last time I had went was when we were in middle school and they use to take us for good grades. We had a lot of fun and I'm going to try and take him a couple more times this year (that's my goal and you have inspired me). Thanks for sharing the fun post!