Thursday, July 9, 2009

When you ask my kids what they have done this summer, and they say 'nothing'....don't believe them! Sure, we were a little slow getting started. I mean, with the weather and all, it just didn't seem all that summer-like around here.

But in the past couple weeks, we've jumped in head first!


Desmond has successfully caught on to 'wrestle time' with Derrick, and loves to ride the horsey. The pictures are a little blurry, but the horse was on the move.


Des was so excited he looked like he was just going to burst!
Myah and I had our own 'girls night' in the back yard. (making up for the fact that she wasn't invited to go backpacking.) Derrick set up the tent, hooked up the tv and dvd player, and even brought out a real bed mattress (for yours truly)! The boys all served us dinner while we watched some girly movies, and put on makeup and fingernail polish. The next morning, we were served breakfast in bed. It was fun. Myah certainly can't hate being the only girl around here!



Last week, Gabe came up with Nicole, Jordan and Kira. It was fun to visit for a couple of days. But WHY don't I ever remember to get the camera out? I only managed to grab one picture of Myah and Kira. Gabe...next time remind me!

Shortly after they headed back for Tooele (like 2 hours after to be exact), Shawn & Yuri came up with more cousins. The great times continue. Shawn & Yuri even humored me by going out on a little hike with Derrick and I. It sure made it feel better to eat all of that yummy party food. After all, we pre-burned the calories, right?


The next day, Nicky & Ira and Tyson & Mandi joined us for a swim day. Some of the kids went tubing up at Lava. I have yet to do it (you know, the whole issue with me, tubes, and rivers) Of course, we were caught in the huge thunder/rain storm that hit Pocatello. It was still a great time though.

And Des? He's just happy standing on his head. Any time, any place.

Later on, my parents joined us that evening for a 4th of July barbecue...complete with nickel sized hail, flooding, a most beautiful rainbow, and the Pocatello fireworks!


Think I'm done???? WRONG......

The next morning, we headed down to Cherry Hills to celebrate Uncle Paul's & Aunt Carma's 50th wedding anniversary. I got to meet some of Derrick's cousins for the first time, and others I haven't seen in years and years. It was really cool. What an awesome family.Shawn and Amy were even able to make it from Phoenix. I always have to take a picture of Myah and Abby together. They are just so similar, and very, very close in age, and Myah loves to see her. (of course, she loves to see any of her cousins!)

And after that....

We stopped by the Crawfords to swap Zac for Emilie for a few days. It's a summer tradition. And in order to trade back children, we decided to meet at Bear Lake yesterday and play for the day. The good times just kept coming (as did the wind).


And because there were no daddies on duty, I even helped out with the sand castle. But the kids definitely missed Derrick and his amazing design capabilities. Mine looked more like a birthday cake.

After each dip in the lake, a warm up in the blanket was sure to follow! Is it really JULY???
Skyler worked on his tan. When did he get that old, to actually care about a tan?
And the wind just kept on blowing. but the kids didn't seem to mind. After all, we live in Pocatello. We're used to it! Zac dug a whole to the center of the earth
and Myah fit just perfectly. It was probably warmer in there.Des snacked on sand
and liked it. A lot!

As I was saying....Any time, Any place!

After it was all over with. This little guy wasted no time in going to sleep. We weren't even done loading the car yet. Since it wasn't a particularly warm day at the beach, I called Derrick and had him meet us last night at Downata for a somewhat warm evening swim. Once again, no pictures.

And the fun doesn't even stop there! This morning, we jumped (or sort-of rolled slowly) out of bed, and tried our best to put the house back together (funny how it gets so messy when we're not even here!), for some more company to stop by and say hello. Jenna and her kiddos (some friends from Las Vegas, who now live in Phoenix, but who drive to Rexburg once a year to visit family......you get the picture.....) took the time to come hang out with us for a while today. It was short, but very sweet, and we're so glad we're on the way to Rexburg! Thanks Jenna!

And.......now I get to try to clean out the car, finish the laundry, and get a good workout in, since tomorrow........

we are taking the kids to Lagoon. (does the fun ever stop?)
and Saturday....we get to go to Tooele for Kira's baptism!
Yet another amazing and fun weekend to look forward to!

But in a month from now, when my kids answer the question, 'What did you do this summer?' with a big fat 'NOTHING', you can know in your heart that they are totally and completely FULL OF IT!

Good thing we decided to take this summer to 'lay low', 'kick back', and not make any 'big plans'. I think we'd be in trouble!

7 comments:

Huffstuff said...

And I thought we were busy. I got tired just reading all the fun you've had. I have to say I love the girly night in the tent, HOW FUN! and Des standing on his head. Aren't you so glad you had him. I am. happy summer time!

Maria said...

So every time McKay saw Des with his head down he wagged his finger at the screen and said 'nooooo'. :)

Looks like lots of fun!

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

When are you going to take time for a big breath? Makes me feel really old.

Nicky said...

I loved this post - maybe cuz some of the fun included ME - and I'm always up for something FUN! I do wish I had been invited for the girls tent/movie/snacks/breakfast-in-bed activity - and I'm glad I WASN'T invited to the Lagoon activity! Glad your having fun.
Lets swap pictures of the 4th and Bear Lake.

farmgirl said...

Okay, are you ready for my two cents?
I loved this post! All your summer stuff looks like so much fun!
*I am ALL over the pre-burn of calories, makes perfect sense to me.
*Your girls night?? LOVE it! You are a genius! Camping with all the perks--It's the only way to go! ;o)
*I was caught in a HORRIBLE rain storm on the 26th of June when I drove through Pocatello. Yes, I am lucky to be alive.
*It's been waaayyy too long since I have been to Bear Lake-I need to move that up on the priority list. :o)
All right, I am on the verge of stalkerism here with my long ole comment--just thought you should know that I am lovin' all your summer adventures. :D

bobbi said...

Very fun!! Love the idea of the girls camp out in the backyard!! Lov'n your summer fun!

Unknown said...

Holy cow. Have you passed out yet?

Desmond eating the sand is so funny. So caused me shudder from head to toe- but so funny.

And Kira is so cute and good when she sleeps. That's the best time to take a picture of her!