Monday, July 27, 2009

To Hell & Back! (Hell Roaring, that is)

Another weekend, another adventure! Derrick went backpacking with the big boys again. Only this time, they were lucky enough to have Travis, Taylor, Shawn, Nathan, Brayden, and Tiana (poor Tiana....being with all of those boys!) along for the fun times. We had a giant sleepover on Thursday night so that they could get out the door bright and early on Friday. After a very short night of sleep, the adventure began. They drove to the Sawtooth mountains and started their hike to Hell Roaring Lake (hence, the name of the post). It is a beautiful mountain lake, surrounded by several other lakes and waterfalls in the Sawtooth mountain range. The lake was really somethin', but they wanted to continue on to the next lake (Imogene Lake), and apparently, it was totally worth the extra hike. They enjoyed a good day and a half of fishing, swimming and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

It was this dude's first backpacking trip, ever! And he BROUGHT it (and I don't just mean his backpack!). Great job Brayden!


This is the island. While on the island, they had a bald eagle flying circles above their heads. Then it swooped down, grabbed a fish from the water right by them and then flew away. That could easily be the highlight of Derrick's summer. I guess it must have been pretty cool, since Derrick really doesn't like animals at all. I mean, last time we were at Seaworld, I was holding out the little fishies for the dolphins, and a seagull flew down out of no-where and snagged it from my hand. But Derrick wasn't even impressed at all! And then, when we were eating our lunch, and a seagull flew right over our table and pooped all over my lunch, he was even less impressed! What is it with those bald eagles anyways?


One thing we know for sure....mosquitoes prefer Asian blood. I think Asian food is good, but apparently...so is their blood.
(Nathan and Tiana must have been mighty tasty!)


This is Taylor, taking the plunge. Show off!

The three amigos, Zac, Nathan, and Brayden.

The traditional first fish kiss is always so attractive. And to think, I'm the lucky lady who gets to kiss those lips goodnight!




Look like fun? Here's the thing though....

NEXT YEAR I'M GOING TOO!

10 comments:

Nicky said...

Next year I'm going too (if ya'll will have me along...oh, I forgot, I'm a mom with little responsibilities who couldn't make the trip. So maybe me going is wishful thinking). That looks incredible. Thanks Derrick for taking Brayden along. He hasn't stopped talking about that experience. PLEASE e-mail me whatever pics you have of all our summer adventures...sooner than later...please!

Maria said...

What a pretty place! Looks like they all had fun plus memories to last forever! Was that SNOW I saw in one picture?? BTW: the first picture cracks me up... they both look exhausted! :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Ya, that was snow. I'm supposing that the lake was pretty darn COLD!

Unknown said...

Her poor little face- Jordan swells up like that. Looks like it was pretty fun!

Maria said...

What a blast. That is when I really wish we lived closer! - Jordan

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Jordan-It's times like this, that we wished you lived closer too!

Jay and Rochelle said...

Gorgeous country! You guys always make camping look so fun and memorable!

farmgirl said...

All right, it's official--I totally miss all that green. It is so beautiful!!!
Can I come next year?

Tonya said...

that looks kind of fun. i wish there was green here. i wish i was in shape to hike. sounds like a fun summer. can't wait for school to start

Anonymous said...

http://louboutinmart.co.uk Alchemy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [url=http://dkgoose.com]canada goose[/url] Tbraksobu [url=http://www.louboutinoutletuks.co.uk]christian louboutin uk[/url]
prkzpc 931103 [url=http://www.chilliwackbombersoutlet.com]canada goose mens vest[/url] 882914 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]beats by dre cheap[/url]