Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summer, So Far...

It's funny how 'traditions' start. Last year, Derrick took the older boys backpacking to upper Palisades Lake. They liked it so much, that by the time they got home, the trip was a 'family tradition'. And yes, they went again this past weekend. And yes, they're planning on going again next year. After all, it's TRADITION!
I think that everything went pretty smoothly for the guys. Other than a rather large rain storm, and a little slip on a log (landing Derrick flat on his back in the lake, with my BRAND NEW camera in his pocket!). The camera, is no more, but at least all of the boys returned home in one piece! And Zac's cast isn't really that dirty, either.


Since I couldn't go with the big boys, I started my own 'tradition'. My sisters and sisters-in-law and my mom came up for a couple of days with all of the little cousins. It turned out that all of the big cousins were at scout camp, girls camp, or backpacking. So the little cousins had their very own little get together. We went swimming, ate lots of good food, watched a movie, and made a Costco run. And I liked it so much, that now it's TRADITION! (do you hear me, my girls? That means we're on again for next year!) And, I love going places with Nicky, because she always takes tons of pictures, so I don't have to! Thanks again, my sista!

Jaron, Myah and Truman

The babies, weren't really that into posing for picture.

Myah, on the other hand.....

No sunburns for Des!

Jonny, Tannon and Jaxon

Another pose. What a surprise!


We've also taken advantage of every ounce of sunshine that we've gotten so far this summer (which hasn't exactly been excessive!) The kids played in the baby pool in the back yard. That always makes for some great fun!

Even the 'One Armed Bandito' couldn't resist a little dip in PeeWee's pool.

I've been taking every chance I can get to hike the hills behind the church this summer. I seriously love it up there. The view is something great, and when I carry Des on my back it turns into a pretty decent workout. And who wouldn't enjoy the view?There are even some really great wildflowers up on the mountain right now.
It's definitely a hidden treasure!
We've managed to get just one day hike in due to all of the rain. And, we got rained out. I had to turn around with the little ones. It was quite an ordeal getting them back off of the mountain in a downpour. We had enough playing in the mud to last us a lifetime. Derrick and the older boys finished the six and a half miles in the rain.
All of this rain sure has made for some beautiful green mountains.

Slate Mountain hike.

So that's about it, so far. I'm sure there will be many-a-great adventure yet to come!

8 comments:

Nicky said...

Is that all I'm good for...pictures? Aren't I good for a barrel of laughs too? J/K, we both know I'm not the laughin'-till-I-pee-in-my-pants type of gal (do we know anyone like that????). However, I was the CAUSE for the laugh till we peed in pants when I cinged my hair - not funny! Next year, I speak to NOT have grill duty!
Thanks for the fun weekend.

farmgirl said...

I love girl get together traditions...even the ones that include the kiddos! ;o) Looks like so much fun! I'm already planning out a girl+kid fest while Mike and Adam are at scout camp next month. I do love how green everything is up here, so beautiful.

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

It was a good time. I hope the adventure driving home in a hail storm won't be part of the tradition or the tradition will probably end now.

Maria said...

Sounds like a fun summer so far! Maybe all the rain is worth the green?!? Sure is pretty!

tysonandmandimoser said...

That was fun, thanks for having us up, and YES we will be there next year. That was a fun post to read. So sorry about your camera.

Unknown said...

Looks Like fun. I probably would have died from exhaustion.
or wait...maybe I have.

Ratchfords said...

Great pictures! Looks like a fabulous summer!

Huffstuff said...

Looks like you are makeing the best of summer so far. I should be updating mine, I will, I will. Keep enjoying summer, I feel that it's 1/2 over already. Im not ready for that!