Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote Vote Vote

Free speech. Why is it that one side of the free speech isle can make those of us on the other side feel.....silly, dumb, like bigots, wrong...(and the list goes on)? Sometimes I get to feeling like I don't have the right to voice my opinion just because the 'other side' is so verbal about theirs.

Well, today I learned a lesson from my nieces. They made me proud. They live in the great state of California, and don't have the privilege of being quiet about their beliefs. They've had to stare the 'other side of the isle' straight in the eyes and stay true to their beliefs! They've done everything from making phone calls to registered voters, to standing by the street holding signs. I'm sure that they had all sorts of nice and not so nice reactions to that! Way to go girls!!! It seems like when we're teenagers, being popular is oh so important, and I'm sure that their point of view probably isn't very popular among their peers.
It's funny that people all over the country are so worked up over this. I hear that the Idaho and Utah Mormons are 'involving themselves' in something that's not our concern, yet the person who I hear this from lives in New York. So I guess that New Yorkers have a right to care, but not those of us in little ole' Idaho. Funny how that works.
When we had this same vote in Nevada a few years ago, we were asked to go door to door. Not because we wanted to convince our neighbors one way or another, but because the way the proposition was worded on the ballet, was very confusing (on accident? I don't think so), and was stated in a way that would favor the vote for changing the definition of marriage. How do you just change a definition anyways? I'm going to post a couple pics of these awesome nieces (borrowed from Nicky). So my goals today...go vote, and to NEVER let fear get in the way of my beliefs!

That's all! I'll get off of my soap box (for now).

6 comments:

farmgirl said...

Thanks for wording it (yours and Jamie's) so well. I agree.

Unknown said...

Why others are irritated that us Mormons care about our brother and sisters in other states just shows how clueless they are about us. We have to stick together! What happens in California does impact us.

Nice to see young people being able to stand up for what they believe in so early in life.

Unknown said...

and we are still waiting with baited breath for the outcome....

Ruth Swaner said...

I think it passed....hey....There is a God in heaven watching.

StockPicker555 said...

Being in one the the 3 battleground states for this issue, we received some pretty intense counseling from the church. This included a direct from Salt Lake Stake Conference for all of Arizona on the Sunday before the election. President Packer focused specifically on the importance of this issue and in our ward it has been a huge initiative for months, with all of us required to work phone banks and pass out flyers and have yard signs.

That being said, it was hard to be confronted by friends who said "you are making me a second class citizen by taking away my rights". I came up with an analogy that explained my position.

Each of us has a First Amendment right to freedom of speech. Some have argued that this gives them the right to burn an American flag as an exercise of that right. But because a majority of people in the country hold that flag to be sacred, to the point of dying for, the people have enacted laws to protect the flag, even though it is a limitation of someone's freedom of speech. Just as the flag is a symbol of the values that make this country what it is, marriage is more than a label for the person you choose to spend the rest of your life with, it is one of the cornerstones of society and not something to be changed without dire consequences for our society.

Anyway, I am glad that this election is over, but by the California initiative only winning by a few thousand votes, this will be a battle to be refought every election year from now on.

Shawn

Tonya said...

Thanks for the pictures and for all those in CA who had to stand up and who did. Your one little niece looks just like you Kellie. Hey just a question? Why did you make your blog private. I've been thinking about doing that. I guess I just am not a fan of internet and anybody reading about my family. Just wondering. THanks for the email on all the good stuff for babies. My sister just made a sling and bought a hooter hider. I plan on her making me one also. YOu are awesome and I miss you.